Friday, October 23, 2009

Not on the DB

Another item of interest, not entirely related to rubrics, but linked to from the Kathy Schrock website, was discussing homework as a general challenge for teachers. On that site, there were two points that stood out to me:

1. At a Colorado teachers' workshop, participants discuss how to develop homework that helps children learn and competes with Nintendo.
I think that the fun thing about WebQuests is that they almost do stand up to Nintendo! They are (or should be) innovative, fun and engrossing. I think that an interesting approach to homework would be to look at what it is that distracts students from their homework, for many nowadays, it's video games, and compete with that. WebQuests allow students the visual appeal, the interactivity and perhaps even the sense of accomplishment that they can get from a video game. And by using the internet, it is actually possible to incorporate games into the lesson. Just as an example, for you non-believers, in my Anatomy & Physiology class, we had art-labeling activities, very much like a video game, where we had to click and drag the appropriate name to the corresponding organ/tissue/cell part on the diagram. So it's not exactly Burnout Paradise or Worms Armageddon (my two favorites!) but it was fun and addictive enough that I spent probably more time than I needed to on it. And, of course, it helped my grade!

2. At a Texas teachers' meeting, participants address concerns about a lack of parent support for homework.
I suffered this problem. My mother was very critical of the education system, and had me convinced of her views on education. At the time, of course, that was a bad idea. I figured as long as I passed my classes, it didn't matter. Six years out of high school, I am kicking myself because I'll have to work that much harder to get into whatever Grad program I decide to go for, considering my less than admirable grades in high school.
It is my opinion that, had I chosen not to go back to school, and to never pursue more than HS/GED level employment, it wouldn't have hurt me to have good grades in school. I really think that parents perpetuating the idea that education is unnecessary is a huge problem, and one that I have no idea how to correct. I mean, as teachers we can encourage the children all we like, but at the end of the day, it's their parents attitudes more than ours that have the lasting effect. So, what's a teacher to do? How can we change the attitudes of those parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment