Monday, November 16, 2009

Ken Robinson: Schools Kill Creativity



First of all, I really don't even know what I can add to this. I have been of this very opinion for years now.
I had an interesting argument with my mom a while ago. We were discussing the allotment of school funding to arts programs, and what should be cut when the budget falls short. I have always argued that it's wrong to prioritize subjects in education. I know a lot of different people who think in a lot of different ways. I saw some of the most talented people I know be just miserable in the public education system because they just did not think that way. Someone who is a brilliant artist should not be told (which they are, indirectly when such programs are cut) that their area of expertise, that their talent field, is less valuable than mathematics, or language arts.
The question remains, though, how do we properly allot the budget so that all areas have the resources they need?
I had another mini-debate with a friend of mine over private versus public education. I was (in my current opinion) naive in the belief that public education is the only way to ensure that everyone has a fair shot. But then I realized that just because a child is stuck in a school building, doesn't mean that s/he has a fair shot, now does it?
Whatever the answer is, it was nice for me to see someone validate my opinion. Thanks Ken!
And, of course, I'll be spreading this video around....

Thanks,
Katie May

No comments:

Post a Comment