Monday, November 23, 2009

Vlogging!!!

Ok, so I have no sort of video camera. I can do 45 second clips on my phone, and the video quality is really not great. So, I'll blog about vlogging!

First of all, let me say that I have watched a bajillion and one "Vlogs" in my day, and never really knew there was a name for them... I mean, it's essentially what you-tube is, when the content is original and of the user posting it, no?

My favorite type of vlogs are the cooking ones. I love to cook, and for the most part, I can figure out a recipe. But sometimes, recipes and certain types of things require special techniques that are better shown than told. For example, I am not so good at stovetop frying. When I was a teenager, my mom bought a countertop fryer, and I've worked in many restaurants. When you are spoiled having machines that keep your oil at the perfect temperature, getting it right atop a burner can be tricky business! Alas, one of my favorite foods ever in the world demands perfection in the stovetop frying department.
Enter Manjula's Kitchen! This woman shows you step by step. And though the frying is the tricky part, it's really helpful to get a visual on the dough as well. Those of you familiar with the multitudes of textures and consistencies dough can demonstrate will understand why.

I believe I have already mentioned the prodigiously young fashionista, Tavi, who occassionally posts vlogs to her blog at http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/. Though, she blogs a lot, so it can be hard to find the video entries...

I really like any educational Vlogs I can find. Ones that show me how to do something I didn't know I could... In all honesty, if I had a camera, I would vlog cooking shows at least once a week...

It's the latest trend in the world of the internet. But I think it's a concept that will stick. I think it's probably also a great way for those who are slow at typing to get their message across without feeling so frustrated at their limitation.
It does lead me to wonder, though, whether we aren't coming up with more and more permanent trends on the internet. I mean, chat rooms were cool for a little while, but private IM's have stood the test of time, as has e-mail. But I really can't imagine things like photo and video sharing are going to dwindle the way chat rooms have...

Thanks,
Katie May

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Katie. You found some good vlogs and gave us a great overview of them.

    ReplyDelete