Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Not entirely sure what to blog about here.

So, the assignment was titled, "Blog about Powerpoint" but the description asked us to blog about how we are doing in the class so far. So, I'll go ahead and do both.

In class:

I think I am doing fairly well in this class so far. I have had an off day now and again that has put me behind on the discussion board, forgetting or neglecting or plain not having time when I thought I would to get to replying to people, but I am satisfied with the quality of the work that I have turned in, and I am especially satisfied with the material that I am learning. Considering that I have learned so much already, I can't imagine what more there is to learn. Therefore, there is nothing that I am so strongly hoping to achieve, because I just plain don't know what else there is!
However, I do hope that the lessons for the rest of the semester match the quality of the lessons past.

On PowerPoint: Bad Experiences.
Probably one of the most unanimous complaints about PowerPoint is that it is too oft used as digital note cards for the presenter. I have sat through presentations like this, where, not only were the slides merely text/bullet points, but the presenter added no information not on the slides. I have, sadly, seen this in both the educational and professional setting.
There is really not much worse than having an instructor show you a slide show, reciting the notes on the slides, and moving on. Nothing, of course, except for having that instructor hand you a printed copy of his presentation, and move too fast for you to even take decent notes. (For me it was in Anatomy & Physiology, which made it especially heinous, as there was so much more that could've been done in that class to make it interesting.)
While I do, in fact, appreciate this use, I would have to say that the most creative/effective use I have seen for this program so far has been to use as a photo slide show. And I speculate that there are far more inventive and enjoyable uses available for this program. I am looking forward to investigating what those might be...

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment